My name is Paula Baack. I am a recovering educator.
Here are my five steps*:
1. I admit I am powerless over my fate as an educator.
2. By God’s grace, I survived 46 years of teaching, loving it more each year.
3. The decision to turn over days of anxiety, frustration, physical depletion and mental deprivation to my God, helped me stay the course.
4. I gave serious consideration and reflection to the many positions I held in the past. I embraced the embarrassing moments in front of the classroom and the guilt I felt by not spending more time with my family.
5. I admit to some errors in judgement, lack of empathy on occasion, and just being plain stubborn.
*Adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous